Thursday, July 21, 2011

If anyone asks, my name is Brandy


I consider myself an all-American girl: I love the 4th of July, fireworks, hamburgers, and of course baseball. Some of my earliest memories are of my dad taking me to Phillies games. I'm good at watching baseball. Playing... not so much.

Evidence: when I tried to play on my ward softball team, I tripped over my own feet while trying to catch a ball and fell on my butt, dropping the ball.

So last night my home-teacher Jeff called me up. His intramural team needed another girl or they would have to forfeit, and this was in tournament play. For those of you who don't live in Provo, BYU intramural sports is kind of a big deal. If you win, you get a shirt that says you won! Amazing, I know.

Anyway, I was a little surprised that Jeff asked me, knowing that there are some really good players in our ward. I even tried to warn him, "You know I suck, right?" Then the truth came out. Jeff asked me if I felt okay about a little identity theft.

To play on intramural teams, you have to register your team in advance and it can't really change after that. For the game that night, they had the student ID of one of their girl players who couldn't make it. I was given her card (I look nothing like her) and if anyone asked, my name was Brandy. But luckily for us, they don't look at the pictures or you when you check in, so Brandy was there to play.

To be honest, I didn't completely suck. I got a bunch of hits when I was up, got a couple people out, and actually caught the ball a couple times.

However, my true colors did eventually show, and I caught a ball with my thigh instead of my glove. The bruise is showing it's true colors now too. :)

No comments: