Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Adventures in Dental Care

I seriously brought this on myself. I haven't been to a dentist in over 3 years. Now, that's now entirely by choice. The last time I went, I was still on my parents insurance. And now I have a job and medical insurance, but no dental. So about two weeks ago, during the last week of school, one of my top left teeth started killing me if I ate or drank anything cold. But I got by. I chewed on the other side of my mouth and lived on Tylenol. After about a week of this, I figured it's probably something more serious then tooth sensitivity. So I made an appointment, fully prepared for the boat-load of money I'd have to shell out.
The dentist is nice and everything, but after taking the x-rays, he makes a noise you don't want a dentist to make: "Oh boy!" Turns out I have a huge (I really do mean huge) cavity in my tooth. Then he says to two words you never, ever want to hear: ROOT CANAL!!! Ahhhhhhh! So they drilled and I have a temporary filling, which tastes absolutely terrible by the way), and an appointment for next week.
Let this be a lesson to everyone else: a.) get some form of dental insurance (this is costing me close to $2000), b.) don't wait three years between dentist's visits. It hurts physically, emotionally, and, worst of all, financially.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Ugh! I had a root canal about a year ago. It is still a little sensitive. I don't think your teeth are ever the same after that. (Or maybe they just did a terrible job on it). I go to the dentist as little as possible, too...not because of lack of insurance, jut because I HATE above all else going.